Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stenomaster Update

I've been asked by a few of you for an update on my StenoMaster studies. For those that don't know me, I'm a student studying Mark Kislingbury's StenoMaster Theory. (Now called Magnum Steno)

Since there is not a school near me or online that uses this theory I have little choice but to learn it on my own. Mark has been very helpful to me answering any questions I may have.

I'm happy to report that I'm now on chapter 29 of 33 chapters! This chapter is called 1800+ Common Words that are not obivious to write! There are 22 pages in this chapter and I'm on the 6th page.

I don't worry about how long it will take me to get through it. I just chip away at learning each page, a little each day. I also study past chapters to keep everything fresh in my mind. And I have recently begun to practice basic sentences and phrases using a Magic Drill CD which can be found at courtreportinghelp.com. They also have free drills that you can download and try out. If you do that I'm sure you will be buying their CD's. They're awesome!

When studying court reporting you have to find the theory that works best for you and then throw yourself into learning and studying that theory with all of your heart. I recommend the StenoMaster Theory a.k.a. Magnum Steno because it teaches you to write short which means less strokes which equals faster speed. It just makes sense!

No matter what theory you decide to study you will do yourself a service if you stop by CSR Nation and join the Magnum Steno Fan Club. You will find a lot of talk about the theory, briefs and tips galore. You will find Mark there as well as he is always willing to help his fellow reporters with his wisdom and advice.

Leave a comment here if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help you!

6 comments:

The Dynamic Uno said...

Wow! I didn't realize that the court reporters used a short-hand. It makes sense, but I always thought they could just type really fast. Congratulations on your accomplishments so far with this course. It sounds like you're doing fabulous. Keep up the good work!

Tanya said...

Hi Kim,
I'm doing the same thing, studying this theory on my own. I absolutely love it!! It's pretty tough at times, but definitely very well organized.
So far I'm on chapter 25. How long have you been studying this theory?

Cloud 9 said...

Hi Tanya,
I started last October. I don't know if that's slow or fast but it's me. When did you begin?
I agree that it is very well organized.
Kim

Tanya said...

Hi Kim,

I think you're doing great. It takes awhile to get through the chapters and then to remember it all is quite often a challenge.
I'm very interested in talking to you some more about your experience with the theory, if you don't mind. My e-mail is tatyanalis@hotmail.com
What's yours?

lorie said...

How are you doing on your theory? I am self-teach StenoMaster too and currently on lesson 17.

Do you plan to enroll in an online school when you have completed theory? There are so many choices today but I think I have narrowed it down to Simply Steno. I REALLY don't want the huge student loans everyone talks about with other private schools.

All the best to you!

Lorie

Cloud 9 said...

Hi Lorie,
I plan to take some college classes but I'm not sure what yet. I finished my theory in August! Yeah! I've had speeds as high as 120 so far.
I want to take a sign language class. I'm hoping to work with the deaf to help in the classroom and also I ultimately want to do caption at home.
How about you?
Lesson 17 is a great accomplishment. It really does get easier as you go along.
If you wish to write to me here is my email address:
kimmclay at gmail dot com
Regards,
Kim